Backup Camera Brightness - BMW X2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Backup Camera Brightness

I just bought a new X2. During the daytime the backup camera view seems too dim for me. I went into the settings to try and increase the brightness of the daytime image but the only brightness adjustment I could find was for nighttime only.

Is there any way to adjust the brightness of the daytime image?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Other BMW models have the same issue so as odd as it is, this is 'normal' for BMW.
However, you might have luck in getting the dealership to change settings from the dealer menu, it might be your only hope.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM

It would be odd that we could control the brightness of the ambient cabin lighting, but not the display screen. Some kind of sun visor/shade could serve as a temporary solution.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 AM

Just as an aside, does the navigation display switch to a 'night mode' automatically? e.g. when headlights come on?

It really used to annoy me that in my 2009 335i you had to manually switch it to a night mode, even in pitch dark with headlight on!

Does the display screen change brightness depending if the headlights are on/off?

S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Window tints could also be a solution to reduce the amount of glare in the cabin. I don't think there is a way to alter the brightness of the screen for daytime use.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemz View Post
Window tints could also be a solution to reduce the amount of glare in the cabin. I don't think there is a way to alter the brightness of the screen for daytime use.
The trick with that is to get window tints that specify they control glare, otherwise you might be in for the same issue although not as bad.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM

Cutting down the amount of light in the cabin should help to make the screen more visible. There are also special polarized glasses you can buy that are specifically designed to reduce screen glare.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

OP here,

We also have a 2018 X3 and the backup camera brightness is definitely brighter than the 2018 X2 during the daytime. People are saying the camera screen daytime brightness for the X2 is probably a default setting that I cannot change myself. That is unfortunate! Sunglasses, whether polarized or not, reduce brightness by at least a half an f stop. Most sunglasses reduce brightness by a full f stop. The screen in the X2 is much smaller than the X3. In order to see what is showing on the screen I have to take off my sunglasses and move my face over to within 18 inches of the camera - that is crazy! We live 75 miles from the dealer's service center, so I cannot just drop by to see if they can adjust the screen brightness.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM

Sometimes its a case of parts bin picking from outgoing builds of hardware before bringing in newer system.
I realized over the years this is most common in cheaper models where people have less reasons to be complaining.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page