X2 vs Range Rover Evoque - BMW X2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

X2 vs Range Rover Evoque

TopSpeed has a new article up that gives a breakdown of how the new X2 and Evoque compare on paper. They are much different vehicles, geared towards different audiences, and which one is a better suit for you will depend on your given needs. As a utility vehicle the Evoque may be a better package, but driving enthusiasts will come to prefer the handling and dynamics of the X2. https://www.topspeed.com/cars/2019-l...-ar183538.html
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:02 PM

While I can see people cross shopping between these two crossovers, I still find there to be concerns over the build quality of JLR products. Not to mention their ancient technology that's well beyond what everyone else is using.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 PM

design alone will help most people decide which one is for them, in fact I haven't seen anyone cross shop between BMW and Range Rover/Land Rover
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I agree. You either buy German or British and that will heavily depend on your familiarity with each badge and past experiences. From a reliability standpoint I think the X2 is a safer bet, but I do appreciate the new design language of RR's latest round of crossovers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemz View Post
I agree. You either buy German or British and that will heavily depend on your familiarity with each badge and past experiences. From a reliability standpoint I think the X2 is a safer bet, but I do appreciate the new design language of RR's latest round of crossovers.
oh yeah most evoques are sold to city slickers that have options so reliability isn't much of a concern, people want a piece of the RR brand more than anything
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM

The updated Evoque has really taken after the styling of the Velar and I think that's been a positive change. JLR has also announced there will be a new 300volt PHEV joining the range at some point later this year.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
The updated Evoque has really taken after the styling of the Velar and I think that's been a positive change. JLR has also announced there will be a new 300volt PHEV joining the range at some point later this year.
even before the revision, Evoques were attractive already, my biggest beef was its heavy platform
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Sales of the I-Pace have properly forced them to up their timeline on more electrified variants. Its one of their only vehicles that hasn't completed flatlined amidst job cuts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 PM

It should get even better for Jaguar as I heard another platform or the existing I-Pace platform will be used for future lucrative products.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Car and Driver put together a good article that compared the X2 M35i with the Evoque P300 R-Dynamic HSE. They gave the X2 the edge given how much lower its starting price is compared to the Evoque.

Quote:
In the grand—and, unfathomably, still perpetuating—tradition of British cars, the Rover's electronics are so flaky that unreliability seems designed in. The screen lags as though someone let Grandpa use the internet and click on all the pop-ups. And in a most ironic failure, the feed from the backup camera starts to stutter and freeze just as the proximity markers appear on the display. So the closer you get to obstacles, the choppier the feed gets. That bumper behind you still appears to be two feet away when you feel the impact.

Even excusing the inexcusable—sure; fine; no, you're right; it might just be a flaw with this particular Land Rover—the BMW's $9350-lower starting price is hard to ignore. It's possible to get these two to something approaching price parity, but when equivalently optioned, the BMW is always going to have the cost advantage. And while the Evoque is comfortable, the X2 is engaging in a way the Rover can't approximate. If we were choosing between them, we'd overwhelmingly go for the BMW. But we have to admit, we're a bit confounded by any small SUV at this price.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page