Not able to configure Apple Car Play - BMW X2 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pepeanto

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Not able to configure Apple Car Play

Hello,

I recently bought the X2 and added Apple Car Play option.

I feel kind of silly asking this but I am not able to see the Car Play option anywhere in the screen. I went over the menu options, even following the manual but nothing matches what it is described in the manual.

Has anyone been able to setup Apple Car play wirelessly on the X2?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:56 PM

I'm not an iPhone user so this is just third hand knowledge from reading the BMW Apple Carplay Guide.
Make sure the phone's bluetooth is on. You have to go into the car's menu and select "manage mobile devices" and then choose "connect new device". There should be an "Apple CarPlay" option. follow prompts and voila.

HOW-TO GUIDE: APPLE CARPLAYŽ PREPARATION.
STATUS 01/2017
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

However I ended up calling BMW Assist and they told me there is something missing in the software of the car. The option doesn't show up at all and I need to drive by the dealership for them to fix it. Bummer
cityrun likes this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeanto View Post
Thank you!

However I ended up calling BMW Assist and they told me there is something missing in the software of the car. The option doesn't show up at all and I need to drive by the dealership for them to fix it. Bummer
Can't wait for brands like BMW to get on board with over the air updates similar to what Tesla is able to do and has done for many of its owners already. Would save a us a lot of time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmers View Post
I'm not an iPhone user so this is just third hand knowledge from reading the BMW Apple Carplay Guide.
Make sure the phone's bluetooth is on. You have to go into the car's menu and select "manage mobile devices" and then choose "connect new device". There should be an "Apple CarPlay" option. follow prompts and voila.

HOW-TO GUIDE: APPLE CARPLAYŽ PREPARATION.
STATUS 01/2017

It finally worked. I found one person in the dealership that knew what he was saying (2 different ones told that "iPhone 6S might be old and that is why it is not working", unbelievable)

Basically my car profile in the online connected drive was somehow not set up properly. So I ended up removing the car, re-adding wit the VIN number, going back to my car, connected my phone through bluetooth, did a software update on the car, and it all started working. All the sudden Apple Car Play, live traffic info, weather and so on showed up.

Long story short. Regenerating the online profile in https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ made the trick
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 PM

I am a new owner to the BMW X2 as well. Although my initial order didn’t include apple car play as the dealership told me they could add it on when the car arrived in Australia.

I have tried to add the apple car play since then following lots of videos on how to set up. Now I’ve been told by my dealership that actually you can’t add apple car play as it’s missing some sort of hardware that needed to be added at the time of the car build. Which is frustrating since I wanted it added but got told otherwise.

Given the above I don’t know if there is now some other way I can get apple car play added to my car. Any ideas?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 PM

I’m aware that in the U.K. there are heavily discounted apple play subscriptions on eBay, thought I was in luck until I found out that it’s only available on cars with the Professional navigation package grrrrrr
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Seems like I need to upgrade to a 3K head to get Apple Car play to work.
Really?
We have touch screen and ID6 software.

Isn't ID6 an Android derivative?
Shouldn't there be a software solution to load in car play?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 PM

BMW X2 Apple Carplay (head unit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeanto View Post
It finally worked. I found one person in the dealership that knew what he was saying (2 different ones told that "iPhone 6S might be old and that is why it is not working", unbelievable)

Basically my car profile in the online connected drive was somehow not set up properly. So I ended up removing the car, re-adding wit the VIN number, going back to my car, connected my phone through bluetooth, did a software update on the car, and it all started working. All the sudden Apple Car Play, live traffic info, weather and so on showed up.

Long story short. Regenerating the online profile in https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ made the trick

Hi pepeanto,

I also have a BMW X2 (bought) in Portugal. My local (official) BMW dealer tells me that X2 is not currently prepared to have apple carplay enabled (neither it is predictable if and when to become available). This is because X2 is a front wheel drive platform car (although mine is xdrive) like 2 series and others and these cars can never have a Navigation Professional module (mine is Navigation Plus) due to room problems in the front of the chassis. Technically speaking this car is not compatible with ENAVEVO head unit which must be installed to have genuine carplay working.

So we dont understand how did you manage to have carplay in your BMW X2. So could you please tell me what your BMW X2 VIN so we can figure out how to have a similar solution to my car? If you prefer please email me with your X2 VIN ([email protected]).

Thank you for all your help
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 05:18 AM

Hi, I have communicated with catman8727, and the same happened to me here in Melbourne, Australia.
X2 F39 August 2018 Build I purchased new (30km) and the dealer assured me on 3 occasions that I will be able to sign up for Apple Car Play through BMW Connected Drive.
The back story is I owned a BMW i3 for three years before changing over to the X2 in July 2019. No dealer or workshop could fix issues I had with Bluetooth on the i3. So the main reason for changing cars was to get Apple Car Play. (And long-distance travelling was the reason I moved back to diesel, we don't have very good charge infrastructure in AU.)

The dealer said they made a mistake and the car cannot be enabled for Apple Car Play. From research online and talking to a few people in the after-market business, the older X2 (2018 Nov and older) shipped with it as an option. All 2019 and later models of the X2 you will find on the BMW website its standard with the turning on using BMW Connected Drive.

Going through the FAQ on BMW Australia Connected Drive site this comes up as what's required:
Quote:
Ex-factory the option code SA 6CP is needed. If your vehicle is equipped with either the option SA 6NS, 6NW 6NP, 6U9 or 6FR, Apple CarPlay can also be ordered in the BMW ConnectedDrive Store.
In my case, I have the 6NW with Wireless charging... and the Innovations Pack (Professional I believe in other countries) which code is 0Z1A.
From this, I can tell that I am missing the 6NP component to make it work. Which is the WIFI Radio.

As the iDrive system across the X2 range is pretty much the same there are different part numbers that show they have preparation for Apple CarPlay.
This is for my model of X2 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_3013
And part number 65129441868 show preparation for Apple Car Play = "Yes". And can be purchased (and surely ordered by the dealer from BMW) from https://handlerparts.de/en/Search?code=65129441868 for +/-$2500AUD.

The only thing I believe stopping the dealer is the $2.5K + install cost?
And it cannot be a BMW Connected Drive integration issue as with my i3 the complete iDrive system was replaced trying to rectify the Bluetooth connectivity issues. And the iDrive system was linked easily back with BMW Connected Drive. Few days of waiting but it worked.

I really would like to get to the bottom of this and help others like catman8727 to get Apple Car Play installed where it was promised. So any insight would be grateful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page