BMW X2 on the 'Ring - Page 8 - BMW X2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

If it's in the X1, the X1 isn't classified as an off-road centric vehicle. So it is a possibility that the X2 will get it.
post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 PM

Turns out the X1 can deliver 258 lb-ft of torque at 1250 rpm, so the X2 should be able to take off from a dead stop fairly quickly.
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

.... Well yes that was pointed out on page 7 post #67..

If it isn't an AWD though, I can anticipate some serious wheel-spin with a fair bit of throttle input. Of course traction control would step in but... it kind of sounds fun..
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCubed View Post
.... Well yes that was pointed out on page 7 post #67..

If it isn't an AWD though, I can anticipate some serious wheel-spin with a fair bit of throttle input. Of course traction control would step in but... it kind of sounds fun..
I find that BMW offers good tires from factory so there should be much of a concern for tire slippage, unless you really try, which with most vehicles almost always happens. But in snow/rain/wet conditions, you still experience infrequent tire slippage.
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM

New tires shouldn't spin from takeoff, even when the pavement is wet. Only time I've experienced that was with very old tires, the car kind shuddered a bit too when that happens due to unevenly worn tires.
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't matter how new the tire is or how good the wet performance and sipes are. Typically the road surface is the most slippery in the first 30-60 minutes of rain. Why? Because when the rain falls on the road, it pulls the oils from the road up to the surface which makes it extremely slick. After a certain amount of time, the rain water can wash the majority of the oils off of the road which would reduce the chances of slippage. Right at the beginning though, you can expect it with the best tires in the world even.
post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Learn something new everyday. Didn't know it's most slippers in the first half to full hour after rainfall. Always thought it was related to tires as well. Makes me wonder if BMw took to the ring during a rainy day just for weather testing at higher speeds.
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmers View Post
Learn something new everyday. Didn't know it's most slippers in the first half to full hour after rainfall. Always thought it was related to tires as well. Makes me wonder if BMw took to the ring during a rainy day just for weather testing at higher speeds.
its possible and sometimes car makers will work with a tire maker to have a special tire debut with the car
I see it happen all the time, last time I recall this happening was with the Lexus LC500 and Michelin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page