Mini to borrow the M35i engine - BMW X2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Mini to borrow the M35i engine

In an effort to make their JCW models more engaging to drive, there are some new reports that the Clubman and Countryman JCW might be getting the same engine that powers the X2. The 2.0 liter turbo four would bring their current 228hp up a significant margin to as much as 302hp. It could however also mean that future JCW models will be restricted to an 8spd automatic.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Good move to make which will hopefully make up for past woes that cost over a 1/3 of the cars cost, most people sold at a loss.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM

This might finally help to justify the premium that you're paying for one of these JCW models. Mini models have become way overpriced imo, which has led to their sales falling pretty flat over the past few years.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 PM

JCW models were always great offerings to me but they just lacked value which was passable during the time they launched in.
However in the current landscape that's no longer acceptable, folks might as well go to BMW and get their performance kick with a Mxxxi model.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mini has lost the essence of what their vehicles used to represent, as the fact that the best selling model is now the Countryman, is a sign of how the market has changed. People in NA have so little interest in smaller commuter cars, that they've been forced to almost adopt a crossover body style.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 PM

We're in challenging times that makes it hard to be competitive and Mini but be running on fumes for all we know.
Odds are they don't have much left to go and will be outpaced but ultimately it will come down to what consumers demand.
Fortunately Mini has BMW as their backbone for parts and cashflow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page